Marxism
[All Periods] [All Lists]

Re: [Marxism] Pat Robertson calls for the assassination of Hugo Chavez

To: Activists and scholars in Marxist tradition <marxism@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Marxism] Pat Robertson calls for the assassination of Hugo Chavez
From: Jon Flanders <jonflanders@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:04:55 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:04:29 -0600
On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 23:15 -0400, Louis R Godena wrote:
> He assures us that the Pat Robertson story is significant because it
> allegedly led off today's State Department briefing.   I've seen State
> Department briefings that led off with a discussion of Angelie Jolie's
> trip to Cambodia or chuckling references to Jim Guckert/Jeff Gannon's
> all male nude website when he was promoted as a bona fide
> blogger/journalist at the White House.   Where is this Pat Robertson
> story going to lead?   Nowhere. And that's all I was saying.

Louis, I really think you ought to reassess your take on this. Pretty
much across the board the Robertson statement is regarded as
significant. "Democracy Now" spent most of it's time today discussing
it.

That State Department and Pentagon briefings have their lighter moments
is irrelevant in this case.

Its all about building a consensus at the rightist core for going after
Venezuela, which is rapidly becoming a huge problem for Washington. So
much so that the only countries Rumsfeld could visit in Latin America
were Paraguay and Peru.

And it is also about creating a political atmosphere in the US for
political violence against dissenters.

Like it or not, Robertson has a huge constituency that is key to the
Bush political base. You know as well as I do that in the more
conservative regions of the white working class where we spend our work
time, this sort of rhetoric is red meat for the dinosaurs of the break
room. We need to take them on directly, not duck the issue by dismissing
Robertson as a kook.

I would also like to remind the Godena bashers on the list that he
happens to be someone with some influence on his job site. I would hope
that we might seek to change his thinking, rather than simply try to
drive him off the list every time we have a disagreement.

Jon Flanders